No Interest Loans (NILs)
No Interest Loans (NILs) is a national network of loan providers, offering safe, fair and affordable credit for people on a low income. There are no interest payments or loan fees with NILs.
NILs loans are designed for people who face barriers in accessing small amounts of credit on fair and reasonable terms, for the purchase of essential household goods.
There are limitations to the amount that can be borrowed, determined on a case-by-case basis. The maximum amount available is $1500, repaid over 12 months.
When a borrower makes a repayment on their NILs loan, those funds become available for someone else in our community to borrow. This is called circular community credit.
The No Interest Loan Scheme is provided by Good Shepherd Microfinance. We are an accredited provider of NILs loans for the Northern Rivers region.
What can NILs loans be used for?
NILs loans are generally used for the purchase of essential household items and goods such as:
- Fridges, washing machines and white goods.
- Computers, televisions and electrical goods.
- Houesehold furniture.
- Car related expenses including repairs and registration.
- Educational expenses.
- Health related services, products and items.
- Northern Rivers NILS loans cannot be used for emergency relief, property rent or bonds, cash, bills, debt, car purchases, fines, penalties, holidays or second hand goods.
NILs loans are available to people who:
- Have a Health Care Card / Pension Card or earn less than $45,000 a year after tax ($60,000 for couples or people with dependants).
- Can show the capacity to repay the loan.
- Contact us to request a document check list and to arrange an appointment with one of our NILs staff. Call 02 6621 7397, email email@example.com or visit our Lismore Community Hub. Please specify whether you want your appointment to take place in person at any of our Northern Rivers NILs locations listed below, via telephone or video call.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 02 6622 0235 with copies of your documents before your appointment.
- Attend your appointment as arranged.
- After the appointment, your application is sent to the loans assessment committee for review.
- One of our NILs staff will contact you with the results of your application review.
NILs appointment locations
Your NILs appointment can take place in person at any of our locations below, via telephone or video call. Please specify your preference when making your enquiry.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Casino NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at Casino Community & Cultural Centre, 35 Walker Street, Casino NSW 2470.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Grafton NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at our Grafton office, Shop 2, 70 Prince Street, Grafton NSW 2460 (behind Low-Pressure surf shop).
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Kyogle NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at 68 Summerland Way, Kyogle NSW 2474.
Located at our Community Hub, 76 Carrington Street, Lismore NSW 2480. Open 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Murwillumbah NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at Murwillumbah Community Centre, Nullum Street, Knox Park, Murwillumbah NSW 2484.
You might be interested in
Many tracks, one road, sustaining community.
Community Gateway is a registered charity and QIP accredited, assessed against the Quality Improvement Council Health and Community Services 7th Edition Standards.
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the lands on which we work and meet, and offer our respect to their elders, past, present and future.
Send us a message now
Copyright © 2021 Northern Rivers Community Gateway. All rights reserved.