No Interest Loans (NILs)
No Interest Loans (NILs) is a national network of loan providers, offering safe, fair and affordable credit for people on a low income. There are no interest payments or loan fees with NILs.
NILs loans are designed for people who face barriers in accessing small amounts of credit on fair and reasonable terms, for the purchase of essential household goods.
When a borrower makes a repayment on their NILs loan, those funds become available for someone else in our community to borrow. This is called circular community credit.
The No Interest Loan Scheme is provided by Good Shepherd Microfinance. We are an accredited provider of NILs loans for the Northern Rivers region.
How much can I borrow?
You can borrow up to $2000 for essentials such as appliances or furniture, to help you get your car back on the road, pay for education fees and equipment or help you cover the cost of goods and services to support your wellbeing.
You can borrow up to $3000 for housing related expenses such as bond or rent in advance, or for recovery from a natural disaster.
What can I use a NILs loan for?
Borrow up to $2000 for essential goods and services including:
- Household items like appliances, whitegoods & furniture
- Car repairs & registration
- Medical, dental, wellbeing and life event expenses
- Technology like a phone or laptop
- Education expenses like fees or uniforms
- Employment expenses like licenses or equipment
Borrow up to $3000 for:
- Bond & rent in advance
- Costs associated with a natural disaster
You are eligible for a NILs loan if you:
- Earn less than $70,000 annually (before tax) as a single person or $100,000 annually (before tax) if you have a partner or children.
- OR have experienced family or domestic violence in the last 10 years.
- OR have a Health Care Card or a Pension Card and can show you can afford to repay the loan.
- Contact us to request a document check list and to arrange an appointment with one of our NILs staff. Call 02 6621 7397, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Lismore Community Hub. Please specify whether you want your appointment to take place in person at any of our Northern Rivers NILs locations listed below, via telephone or video call.
- Email email@example.com or fax 02 6622 0235 with copies of your documents before your appointment.
- Attend your appointment as arranged.
- After the appointment, your application is sent to the loans assessment committee for review.
- One of our NILs staff will contact you with the results of your application review.
NILs appointment locations
Your NILs appointment can take place in person at any of our locations below, via telephone or video call. Please specify your preference when making your enquiry.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Casino NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at Casino Community & Cultural Centre, 35 Walker Street, Casino NSW 2470.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Grafton NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at our Grafton office, Shop 2, 70 Prince Street, Grafton NSW 2460 (behind Low-Pressure surf shop).
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Kyogle NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at 68 Summerland Way, Kyogle NSW 2474.
Located at our Community Hub, 76 Carrington Street, Lismore NSW 2480. Open 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
By appointment only. Ask to make an appointment at Murwillumbah NILs when you make your initial enquiry. Located at Murwillumbah Community Centre, Nullum Street, Knox Park, Murwillumbah NSW 2484.